Saturday, August 1, 2009

Always one more

It seems I often have a short list of dogs waiting to come here. I haven't been sharing this on my blog, but should. I can't take in every dog that I am contacted about. This is a part of doing rescue, making choices that involve the pack and humans here as well as the dog in need. There usually won't be any pictures so be patient with my rambling.

As of today waiting there is Jasmine, a six year old very overweight female, whose owner has died. The family took the dog to an older lady relative who just can't take on the responsibility of caring for a dog right now due to her own health issues. I've spoke with her a few times passing on phone numbers of others who might have room for the dog. I also contacted applicants I have on file that may be a fit for Jasmine. One such applicant did visit Jasmine saying she was very overweight, but a very nice friendly dog. Any takers?

A local shelter called yesterday wanting foster space for a young female aussie possibly BC mix already in its second new home because of minor behavior issues. Again I had to weigh the impact of one more canine here against if I say no the dog may be put to sleep. Luckily that wasn't the case. I passed hoping the other rescues I suggested would have room. Most have waiting lists, but will and often do make room for just one more.

Bringing a foster dog into your home can be an easy transition or be stressful for your other pets. Help/suggestions are a phone call or email away. There have been times when I've said yes to too many and have had to contact other shelters or rescue workers to help out by taking a dog off my hands.

No comments: