Friday, November 21, 2008

How we got here


During a phone call recently an applicant asked how/why we do this "foster thing." It started innocently enough. I had a sheltie growing up so had shelties as an adult too. As my last sheltie, Missy, began her decline due to old age I chose to add a new dog to the family. I let friends know I wanted another dog. A co-workers husband was doing on site veterinary work for his degree at a clinic in Eugene. He called her with news of a border collie that had broken a back leg. If I wasn't willing to take the dog they would put it to sleep as the owner didn't want to pay to fix the leg. So without even an introduction Bud became my first border collie. He is pictured above. Bud is now 10 years old and still going strong. 

We thought fostering would be a way to help a dog at a time. By not keeping them we could eventually help many. Granted we fell in love and kept our first attempt at fostering as most do. It was good to "flunk" at this.
So the pack increases and decreases. I hope you will enjoy our endeavors as much as we do.

My husband, Louis, works as a railroad engineer. Photography, his hobby, is helpful in getting good photos for web posting. I work as a buyer for a pet supply store in Corvallis. Luckily I can get my work done in 3 or 4 days, leaving me lots of dog time.

No comments: